Wednesday, March 23, 2005

IT Woes-3

Yes, I visited The Hell again. No, the job is not yet done. Period.
Ok, here's the scene: The secretary, abbreviated AH (as* h***) is lazying around in front of his PC. Her Almighty, the income tax officer(I will also give her name- Vasanthi Ashokan) abbreviated ITO is missing from Her chair.How natural !! The victim, abbreviated ME, is impatiently strolling outside the room with a big Q-mark on his face for last 10 minutes. he has aksed every passerby about Her whereabouts and got a sympathetic nod and advice to wait for a "while". The victim looses patience after a wait of half hour and decided to take charge of things and decides to enter the room and ask the secretary about Her schedule.
ME: Excuse me sir, can you tell me when is madam going to come?
AH: (mutters under breath without looking up) I dont know where she is.
ME: (After a pause to control temper) Ok, today is working day and these are meeting hours right?
AH: (looks up with incredulous look in his eyes) Yes
ME: So, when is she going to come?
AH: She will be back only after 5.30 (thats after meeting hours are over..)
ME: But just now you said you dont know where she is!
AH: (with a mock on his face) She is gone on "official duty" you know...whats the work?
ME: I have blah blah....
AH: Oh, you can leave a application at the counter it will come to your residence..
ME: No sir, I dont want to lose the cheque once again, I will get it done personally.
AH: (again without looking up)I told you she is on official duty elsewhere and will come late today, no point in waiting...come later...

Then I gave up and got out of the room, and tried to ask the maid-peon who I had be-friended before entering the room. She tells assuringly with gestures and sly smile, that madam is upstairs and will come back after meeting hours are over, you just have patience !!!!!
Then I realized that during public meeting hours the ITO disappears on "official duty" to avoid doing work and meeting people!! And if public knocks during non-meeting hours they are asked to come during meeting hours! How ingenious and simple way of avoiding work. I wish I could do that to my customers! Anyway I decided not to give up and waited for about one more hour after that, only to find that the Almighty had not turned up yet. Finally I entered the room again:
ME:(sarcastically) So, madam is still on official duty? I have been waiting for over 2 hours!
AH: (smile, probably to see me still waiting) I told you she wont come today. Either leave your application here or send someone else with authority letter..there is no point in waiting.
ME: (well, you cant bear torture beyond a certain limit) OK,are you sure job will be done with authority letter? Will I be required in person.
AH: (assuringly, with a hint of mock) Yes sir, it will be done.
ME: Ok, I will send someone tomorrow, I cannot come during working days everyday. Will madam be here tomorrow or will she be on official duty again?
AH: (with a sad look, probably for me)I think she will be here...
I just turned around and left the premises coz I knew that one more smart answer from him and I would have wrenched his b***s and ruined my case. I have asked my consultant to try his luck today. I just hope its done now, I have lost patience. next year I have decided not to pay taxes for my extra income, if any. Either way you get harassed, so instead dont pay taxes and then get harassed! Take my advice...

No comments: